Even though summer is halfway over, we all know it stays warm here in Southern California pretty much all year round. This means now is as good a time as any to save energy in the summer (and beyond) and reduce those utility bills!
What can you do to save energy at home?
Summer Energy Saving Tips
As the saying goes, there is always room for improvement—your home probably has a lot of potential for being more energy-efficient! There are a number of ways to save energy during the summer:
- Replace your AC filters on a regular basis (generally, every one to three months depending on how frequent your cooling system runs).
- Buy ENERGY STAR® qualified products you’ll need in the summer—air conditioners, ductless cooling systems, pool pumps, etc.
- Use appliances efficiently—take advantage of the beautiful weather and eat outside on paper plates so you don’t have to load the dishwasher as often.
- Purchase energy-efficient lights like LED and CFL (replace old incandescent bulbs).
- Use ceiling fans and open windows (for a nice breeze) instead of running the AC all the time. Also keep in mind that running fans counterclockwise during the summer helps spread cool air around, which allows you to set your thermostat a little higher while still staying comfortable.
- Make sure your gutters aren’t broken and causing basement leaks or other water infiltration problems.
Another important thing you can do is install insulation!
Re-Insulating Your Home in Southern CA
In our experience, re-insulating your older home is a great way to maximize year-round energy efficiency and comfort. The OJ Insulation team installs home insulation and can make sure your walls, attic and any crawl space are properly insulated so you can start saving money. We install:
If you live in Los Angeles, San Diego or a surrounding area in California and need to re-insulate your home, OJ Insulation can help. Contact us to learn more about our services!