• 600 S. Vincent Ave. Azusa, CA 91702
Proudly Serving All of California (800) 707-9278

Energy Efficiency & Insulation Terms

Batt insulation: Batt insulation comes in pre-cut panels and is generally made of fiberglass; it is sometimes used in conjunction with roll insulation.

Blanket insulation: A batt and roll insulation system, blanket insulation typically consists of fiberglass but sometimes mineral (rock and slag) wool or natural fibers (cotton and sheep’s wool).

Cavity: A cavity is the empty space between the wall studs or joists where insulation can be added.

Cellulose insulation: Consisting of up to 80 percent recycled material (mostly newspaper), cellulose is one of the most environmentally friendly types of insulation and has superior soundproofing abilities; it is typically blown in.

Conduction: Conductive transfer of energy occurs within or between areas (within your home and between the interior and exterior) of different temperatures; thermal insulation is superior at stopping conductive heat loss.

Convection: Convective heat transfer occurs through liquids or gases.

Faced insulation: This type of insulation (batt style) has a vapor barrier attached, typically kraft paper or foil-backed paper.

Fiberglass insulation: An insulation material consisting of thin strands of glass fibers, fiberglass is widely used; today, about 90 percent of homes have fiberglass insulation!

Foam insulation: Foam insulation is ideal for tiny gaps and crevices behind the walls and can be sprayed, injected, poured or foamed-in-place.

Heat loss: Heat is lost from a home or building through one of three methods: conduction, convection, or radiation.

Insulation: Insulation is a product used to block sound and heat transfer, keeping your home more comfortable (and increasing its energy efficiency). Its effectiveness is rated in terms of thermal resistance (R-value).

Loose-fill insulation: Loose-fill is a type of insulation that is shredded and blown into the designated area (also called “blown-in insulation”). Cellulose is typically installed as loose-fill.

R-value: The R-value is used to rate different insulation materials; it refers to the resistance to heat flow—the higher the R-value, the better!

Radiant barrier: Radiant barriers are installed in attics and used to increase your home’s ability to reflect the sun’s energy; options are reflective foil, metal roof shingles, laminated roof sheathing and chips.

Radiation: This refers to radiant heat transfer that is caused by a release of electromagnetic waves (also called thermal radiation).

Retrofit insulation: Used for re-insulation projects, retrofit insulation is installed in existing homes, compared to new construction or new build insulation, which is installed in new homes.

Roll insulation: Ideal for unobstructed spaces, roll insulation can be cut to fit any cavity and is generally made of fiberglass; it is sometimes used in conjunction with batt insulation.

Unfaced insulation: This type of insulation has no vapor barrier attached.

Where should you insulate in your home? Check out our interactive infographic:

Home Insulation

We insulate attics, walls and crawl spaces.

Commercial Insulation

We insulate warehouses, offices, studio spaces & more.

Insulation Removal

Do you need to remove old insulation? We can help.


We work with builders to install fireplaces.

Are You Sure?
You are about to leave OJ Insulation and enter a third-party site. OJ Insulation and Installed Building Products have no control over, and accept no liability, obligation, or responsibility for, the contents or performance of other websites. Any such link does not constitute an endorsement or any representation regarding, the linked website, its content, its owner, its performance, its owner’s products or services, or any forward-looking statements found in.
Leave Page