Looking to save money this winter (and throughout the year)? If you haven’t considered insulating your home, it’s a solution you may want to think about. Many homeowners aren’t aware of the signs that indicate more insulation should be installed, but it offers a lot of potential for year-round savings!
“I already have insulation…should I install more?” Yes, if you need more insulation, re-insulating your home is a great way to save money in the long term. But how do you know if you need more insulation?
How Long Does Insulation Last?
It starts with how old your insulation is. Unfortunately, insulation doesn’t last (and perform effectively) for years and years. If you just moved into a newly built house two years ago, you are most likely good to go. Modern homes are well insulated and more energy-efficient than homes built even a decade ago! Below are two situations, however, where you should consider re-insulating and call an insulation company:
- Your home was built in the 1970s or earlier
- You’ve been living in your home for years without ever checking things like insulation levels (especially if you’re not sure when the home was built)
Insulation that has been installed for years can start to sag, deteriorate or get infested with rodents. This significantly decreases its effectiveness.
In addition to old age, other signs you may need more insulation include:
- Drafts (particularly near the windows) and uneven temperatures from room to room
- Higher than normal energy bills for the time of year
- Air conditioning or heating system running more than normal
- Unusually warm second story (which indicates you may need more attic insulation)
Insulation Services in San Diego & L.A.
Do you need to remove old insulation in your home? Let the team at OJ Insulation help! We can replace your old insulation with new fiberglass, cellulose or radiant barrier. With new insulation installed, you can save money and live more comfortably, year in and year out.
Contact us to learn more about insulation installation!