Thanksgiving has come and gone—even though the temperature is nice and mild (ah, the perks of living in Southern California!), winter is nearly upon us. Have you been looking for ways to reduce your energy bills this winter?
What can you do to save energy at home?
Winter Energy Savings Tips
Although the temperatures don’t drop too drastically here in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas, it can get a little cold at night and your home probably still has a lot of potential to be more energy-efficient! There are plenty of ways to save energy during the winter:
- When you’re home, set your thermostat as low as possible while still comfortable (68 is good) and even lower when you go to sleep or leave the house.
- Consider a programmable thermostat for even higher energy savings.
- Replace furnace filters on a regular basis (generally, every one – three months).
- Use appliances efficiently (do only full loads of laundry and use cold water, run the dishwasher when it’s full, etc.). Have really old appliances? Consider purchasing new ENERGY STAR rated ones.
- Use energy-efficient lights—LED lights and CFL bulbs (replace old incandescent bulbs).
- Replace your old fireplace with an energy-efficient gas fireplace.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed unless a fire is burning.
- Install more home insulation.
- Replace your old front door with a new energy-efficient entry door.
- Replace your old, drafty windows with new energy-efficient windows.
Is Your Home Prepared for the Winter?
Is your home as energy-efficient as possible? OJ Insulation installs home insulation and can make sure your walls, attic, basement and any crawl spaces are properly insulated. We install:
- Radiant barrier
People love to cozy up around the fireplace in the winter! Our fireplace installers can also work with home remodelers and contractors to install the fireplace of your dreams! We offer both wood burning and gas fireplaces from manufacturers like FMI, Heatilator, Heat & Glo, Montigo, Majestic and more.
If you live in Southern California and need to re-insulate your home or install a new fireplace, OJ Insulation can help. We also offer insulation services for businesses. Contact us to learn more about our services!