Do you think you may need more attic insulation or insulation in another area of your home? As a general rule of thumb, you most likely need to re-insulate if your home was built in the 1970s or before (though this isn’t ALWAYS the case, so be sure to check with a professional insulation company first!). The age of your home isn’t the only way to tell if you need to re-insulate, however. Other signs that may indicate your home has an insufficient amount of insulation include:
- Energy bills that are higher than usual for seemingly no reason
- Drafty, uncomfortable rooms
- Uneven temperatures throughout the house
- Air conditioner running more than normal during the summer
- Ice dams on the roof in the winter
- Snow melting on your roof in the winter (this indicates a lack of attic insulation)
Do you think your home needs more insulation? Contact OJ Insulation for a free estimate—or keep reading to learn more about signs that you need to re-insulate!
There are more proactive ways to tell if you need more home insulation – you can check certain areas yourself. While some things may be tricky to handle on your own, there are methods for checking insulation levels that you can probably try yourself. For instance, looking behind your siding may not be feasible, but it is easy enough for many homeowners to open their HVAC closets and look at their ducts or remove electrical outlet plates to take a quick peek behind their walls. Click here to learn more about seeing how much your home is currently insulated and determining whether you need to re-insulate.
Other Ways to Tell if You Need to Re-Insulate
Looking behind your electrical outlets, taking a peek into your attic, and spotting drafts or warm spots in your home are easy to do on your own, but you have other options as well. Although these methods aren’t do-it-yourself methods, they can reveal whether you need more home insulation:
- Home energy auditing: A home energy audit will be able to tell you whether you need to re-insulate. Although this isn’t necessarily the cheapest way, it’s a great way to get a more comprehensive look at the energy efficiency of your home and find out exactly where your home is losing energy – which can also give you a clue about where you need more insulation.
- Consultation with insulation contractors: This one may be a little obvious, but it’s a surefire way to tell if you need to re-insulate your home. Professional insulation contractors will be able to tell you not only if you need more home insulation but also how much you need and where you need it. It’s the best way to tell if you need to re-insulate.
If you live in Southern California, OJ Insulation is the company to call. We offer FREE estimates, so give us a call today and find out if you need more insulation so you can start saving money and living more comfortably!